Credit card theft can occur through various methods including the below.
- Skimming: Thieves use a device called a skimmer to steal card details when it’s swiped, enabling them to duplicate the information.
- Dumpster Diving: Discarded bills or documents containing credit card details can be retrieved by anyone and used for scams.
- Phishing: Scammers send convincing emails, posing as reputable organizations, to trick you into sharing personal information on fake websites.
- Keystroke Capturing: Malware or software installed on your system records every keystroke, including credit card details, when you unknowingly download it.
- SIM Swap: Scammers pretend to be cardholders, requesting a duplicate SIM card and deactivating the original, allowing them to access OTPs and conduct online transactions.